croaking my yakkings

Sunday, 23 October 2011

Kiasu, Who???

This word often confuses me. I think I know what it means but at the same time I don't really know what it means? I'm sure you know what I mean. So, to clear things up, I decided to check it in the Internet and find out what it really means. It derived from a Hokkien (one of the Chinese dialects) word that literally means 'fear of losing'. I still don't quite get it, do you?


This word is synonym with Singaporeans as it is widely used to describe their behaviour. However, I disagree with that. To me, my Singapore experience has been great so far. Regardless with all other opinions relating to the kiasu issue. I believe that somewhere everywhere, there must be some people who's kiasu, not particularly in Singapore. There are some in Malaysia, Hong Kong, and other countries too. Kiasu is so subjective.


Recently, I travelled to Singapore, again with my loved ones for a short getaway over the weekend. I had to be on my own for a while with my daughter because my husband couldn't joined us, (as he was busy eyeing on Mark Wright! Hehehe!). Well, travelling solo with an 11 month old baby is not a walk in the park for me. My daughter wants to be strolled constantly without any stop, so that somehow restricted my window shopping while I was there. I was clumsy and exhausted at the same time, (not that I'm complaining for being a mother!) rushing everywhere and tried to comfort and fulfill my daughter's needs and wants. I was busy struggling with the baby, the stroller, the shopping bags, the phone calls from my Mama, the coins falling all over the place etc, you name it all. I was just  about to burst into frustration and came this lovely young lady with a sweet smile offering a hand to me, I was in heaven! She helped me by picking up my coins on the floor. Though it was just a tiny good deed, but I really appreciate it indeed! It was spontaneous and I am a sucker for good people with positive attitude, and she impressed me greatly well by doing that! What kiasu, who? Singaporean? Think about it.


Surprisingly, there was another person with a big heart caught my attention as I was fighting my way from the hustling and bustling crowd. I was approaching to the exit and was about to push out the door to make my way out when one young gentleman held the door and helped me with my stroller and all, how swwweeeetttt!!! A help I least expected, especially when people raving about how kiasu and arrogant Singaporeans are. Nope, not all are like that! I was really touched and can't thank him enough. Well, I really love that and appreciate it so much when someone give a hand to another person in need, it feels so good and fantastic! Another kiasu Singaporean? You tell me.


In conclusion, what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't matter who you are and where you are from. Regardless whatever it is, kiasu is not only in Singaporeans, we forget the real meaning of kiasu is 'fear of losing' and in today's world everyone is sooo afraid of losing, be it among Singaporeans, among students in school, among colleagues at a workplace, among brothers and sisters in a family, among politicians, yada yada yada yada yada ( I could go on forever!!! The list is endless!!). There is a little kiasu in all of us but unfortunately we always tend to overlook it by pin pointing others. If you are a good person, then there must be another good person too. If we all could stop blaming each other and whining about this kiasu-ness, then the world is a much better place to live in.


What kiasu again??? Ask yourself!


Forget kiasu-ness, think kindness. Peace to all!


Love,
Hidayah.



P/S- Hi my love, I know you're reading this. Best Singapore. Thanks again and love you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment